My Airsoft Shop TLP Bunker G-Project Airsoft Shop Lock Airsoft Tiger111hk Airsoft Peak

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cylinder-Barrel Ratio Tool (updated)

Share/Bookmark

Default Cylinder-Barrel Ratio Tool (updated)

For newbies and techies,
    Do you want to check your Barrel-to-Cylinder ratio? Here is an updated version of my tool/calculator:

This tool can be used to calculate the air volume of your cylinder and inner barrel. Use this to get a rough idea on what barrel is compatible for a cylinder or what type of cylinder is appropriate for your barrel.

How to use this calculator:
    1. input the inner diameter of your inner barrel (mm), this is usually indicated on a new barrel. Use custom if your barrel length is not in the list.
    2. input the length of your barrel (mm), measure your barrel end-to-end.
    3. if your cylinder is stock (non bore-up) then choose "Standard", if it is Bore-Up, measure the inner diameter and enter the value.
    4. input your cylinder length, for Type 0 (no hole) choose "Type"0" (based on my measurements, stock cylinder measures 73mm), but if your cylinder has a hole (port) measure the cylinder from the front part to the edge of the hole and input this value. (there is no need to open the gearbox, just lift the upper receiver to expose the cylinder and you'll be able to measure it)
    5. click "Compute"

Interpreting the Ratio:
    - a ratio appears in green if it's between 1.5 ~ 3, this is a good ratio, according to this table:

What the tool is NOT:
    This tool is not meant to replace experience, a good gunsmith knows what type of cylinder to use on different barrel lengths, this will only ESTIMATE" the ratio based only on part's dimensions. All values are computed, and they are by no means reflective of your actual setup.

Future Improvements:
    If someone can post the average diameter of a stock cylinder (currently using I'm 23.6mm) or the average diameter of a Bore-Up cylinder I can incorporate these on the program to make it more reliable.

Lastly, for an AEG to perform at its peak, good maintenance like proper sealing is a must (a good gunsmith is a big help too). Don't rely solely on the ratio, actual testing will reveal your AEG's performance.

Download the tool/calculator here(not Vista compatible). Choose your color...Enjoy!

Default Re: Cylinder-Barrel Ratio Tool (updated)

cant run it on my PC "class not registered". running windows XP.

This is a very good and cool program sir. Tq very much for your effort.

sir snake.. what value is the most perfect? the number closer to the red value or the other way for higher FPS.. my reading is 2.3253:1.
    Last edited by sidneypp2003; July 14th, 2009 at 16:36.

Quote Originally Posted by moicyrils View Post
    cant run it on my PC "class not registered". running windows XP.
    sir, some of the files needed by the program are not in your system, you may download the installer (barcyl-installer.zip) instead. Just extract the ZIP files and click setup, the program will setup just like any Windows program.

@G26 - thanks and enjoy!

BTW, I've added the latest version on the download location.

Last edited by Snakebite214; July 14th, 2009 at 16:34.

very helpfull sir.

nice software sir..... galing ng pinoy ersofters.

try ko i download

Quote Originally Posted by sidneypp2003 View Post
    sir snake.. what value is the most perfect? the number closer to the red value or the other way for higher FPS.. my reading is 2.3253:1.
    sir, the ratio that I've marked as good ratio are between 1.5 to 3.0, this is according to the graph that I've attached. If you look below the ratio window you'll see the remark "Ratio Ok", in your case the ratio is very good. This means that if your setup is properly sealed, the air in your cylinder is more than enough for your barrel. If you are planning to install a longer barrel than what you have now, your cylinder can still handle it. As for your question what is the most perfect ratio, I'd say it all depends on how your AEG is setup, actual performance can be guaged by a chronograph. This tool just gives you an approximate ratio of your barrel-cylinder ratio. Hope this helps.

this is a great tool.. thanks a lot sir snakebite214

i've downloaded it.. no prob using the tool
    DOUBLE TAP UNIT PHILS.
    "Semper Paratus...for I shall pass through this path but once.."

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite214 View Post
    sir, the ratio that I've marked as good ratio are between 1.5 to 3.0, this is according to the graph that I've attached. If you look below the ratio window you'll see the remark "Ratio Ok", in your case the ratio is very good. This means that if your setup is properly sealed, the air in your cylinder is more than enough for your barrel. If you are planning to install a longer barrel than what you have now, your cylinder can still handle it. As for your question what is the most perfect ratio, I'd say it all depends on how your AEG is setup, actual performance can be guaged by a chronograph. This tool just gives you an approximate ratio of your barrel-cylinder ratio. Hope this helps.
    sir,, thanks a lot... for this to be effective try not to include the space that the cylinder head occupies in the cylinder in measuring.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast