Airsoft Tiger111hk Airsoft Tiger111hk Airsoft Tiger111hk Airsoft Tiger111hk Airsoft Tiger111hk Airsoft Tiger111hk

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you in favour of creating such an organization

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am definitely in favour.

74 71.15%
  • No, I am oppose to forming such a group or organization.

11 10.58%
  • Neutral, I don't really care whether there is one or not.

18 17.31%
  • Yes, I am in favour, but only if I or my group will lead it.

1 0.96%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Airsoft Advocacy/Lobby Group

Share/Bookmark

Default Airsoft Advocacy/Lobby Group

I spoke to Atty. Ticky Tabujara (of the UAA) a while ago regarding the possibility of creating a formal airsoft advocacy group similar to Progun. We both agree that creating such an organization would prove to be beneficial to the entire airsoft community.

Our beloved sport or hobby is constantly under threat from gun control lobbyists, bureaucrats, government officials, and unenlightened members of society. We are persistently criticized and harassed by these people and they pose a serious threat, a threat that grows with each passing day, to our beloved sport and way of life.

Given the situation, we believe that it is high time that we create an advocacy/lobby group to combat such threats. We were thinking along the lines of putting up a Non-Government Organization (NGO), non-stock and non-profit of course, to serve as our (the airsoft community in general) main advocacy group. The main purpose of the organization is to educate people regarding our sport or hobby; to give representation during public hearings and/or consultation meetings with the three main branches of the government (executive, legislative, and judiciary) or other government and/or private (if any) agencies. The organization will also file the appropriate responses and/or documentations required (clarifications, motions, declaratory relief’s, etc.) with the corresponding government agencies and/or institutions should the need arise. The organization will basically deal with the bureaucratic side of airsoft and make sure that we are duly represented in such hearings and/or meetings.

We will also try to get a seat (if possible) in the National Firearms Control Executive Committee

NOTE: The National Firearms Control Executive Committee is an Inter-agency Executive Committee, created by the President by virtue of an Executive Order, headed by the Civil Security Group of the Philippine National Police and is composed of representatives from Bureau of Customs, Department of Interior and Local Government, Bureau of Immigration, Philippine Army, National Bureau of Investigation, and civilian stakeholders such as AFAD, IANSA, PROGUN, and UAA.

Although the United Airsoft Alliance already has a representative in said committee, I don’t think it would hurt to have more representatives to fight for our cause. You will be surprised at how many unenlightened members of the committee (from the government side) wish to reclassify airsoft guns as true firearms. I know it’s silly, but you can’t really blame them since they really know nothing about airsoft. That is why it is imperative that we have an advocacy group to duly represent us in such meetings so that we can enlighten them about our beloved sport or hobby.

Just to clarify, this will NOT be a governing body or umbrella organization. It has nothing to do with internal policy making governing the conduct of the sport. This will simply be an advocacy/lobby group, NO MORE NO LESS, the main purpose of which is to fight for our right (if you can call it that) and forward our cause.

Anyway, at this point, this idea is purely exploratory, nothing concrete yet. That’s the reason why I posted this; I want to get the sentiment of fellow airsofters. I want to know if you guys are in favour of such a move.

If you have any suggestions or ideas kindly sound off.
    Last edited by badcop; August 4th, 2009 at 11:23.

Default Re: Airsoft Advocacy/Lobby Group

I'd rather prefer airsoft be non political, non partisan (even non religious)... but thats just me. I see pandora's box... what do you guys see?

I trust my friend Ticky on this one. I say go. He is actually instrumental to the growth of airsoft in the Philippines and the coming amnesty for loose firearms. Evil flourish when good men do nothing.
    Serving Militaria Collectors and Geardos Worldwide since 2001.
    Contact number {02} 986 7340
    www.marketmarket.proboards54.com

I'm not in favor of forming an advocacy group simply because there are lots of fellow airsofters that are either arrogant, abusive and lacks discipline. it will only give us embarassment to those who would challenge us as a group, it is also diffucult to clean our ranks because others refuse to follow rules. "yun nga lang sa gamesite dami ng pasaway" what more if we create this advocacy? i don't know it's just my opinion, ok sana kaya lang....
    Leaders are visionaries. We don't wait for the right time, we create it.

Quote Originally Posted by Denski Sison View Post
    I'd rather prefer airsoft be non political, non partisan (even non religious)... but thats just me. I see pandora's box... what do you guys see?
    Same.

IMHO, politics and airsoft doesn't mix well....

The Brotherhood OF AUG || JomarX.com
    Basic research is what I'm doing when I dont know what I'm doing - Wernher von Braun

if this pushes through... would this be mandatory or voluntary? I mean in joining the said group...

Quote Originally Posted by wutdahell View Post
    if this pushes through... would this be mandatory or voluntary? I mean in joining the said group...
    Purely voluntary. Since it's just an advocacy group it doesn't have any power or control over airsofters.

Quote Originally Posted by barurot View Post
    I'm not in favor of forming an advocacy group simply because there are lots of fellow airsofters that are either arrogant, abusive and lacks discipline. it will only give us embarassment to those who would challenge us as a group, it is also diffucult to clean our ranks because others refuse to follow rules. "yun nga lang sa gamesite dami ng pasaway" what more if we create this advocacy? i don't know it's just my opinion, ok sana kaya lang....
    Why not SEE the positive side of things?

@BadCop- Isn't it enought that UAA is represented in NFCEC? If not, then what are they doing there? Just for the sake of argument sir, nothing personal

-ChubbyKiller
    Team Los Lobos
    101% Certified Ilonggo

Quote Originally Posted by jomarx View Post
    Same.

IMHO, politics and airsoft doesn't mix well....
    Actually, I share similar sentiments, I too want airsoft to be non-political and non-partisan, unfortunately, the threat from external forces are very real. We are talking about external politics, politics outside the airsoft community; politics that can really affect and hurt us if it goes unchecked. I understand that based on the type of politics we see here in FAS, people are often dismayed and disgusted by the mere mention of the term "politics". We normally and constantly bicker and argue about things like fps limits, rules of engagement, etc., but these are just minor details related to the conduct of the sport; we only ague and debate because we are passionate about the sport or hobby. Despite our differences, I believe we all agree that we love airsoft, we love airsoft guns, and we simply want to freely engage in our sport or hobby. Sad to say, there are people out there who do not understand or share our sentiments, in fact, they wish to strictly restrict or put an end to our beloved sport or hobby; they wish to institute draconian measures to stop the proliferation of airsoft guns if not ban them completely.

The real war is not here in FAS but out there and the real enemy are the unenlightened politicians, bureaucrats, and gun control lobbyists. War is waged on a daily basis, not in the game sites but in the offices of powerful politicians and bureaucrats; people in power who have the authority to legislate or enact policies that can and will greatly affect us. These people constantly have meetings and consultations, this type of politics will go on whether we like it or not, whether we choose to participate or not. We cannot live in a vacuum or bubble and pretend to be naive about the things that go on around us and simply hope for the best. The main issue is whether or not we wish to be represented in such meetings. Would we rather have them conduct these meetings or consultations without due representation? Would you prefer that they have these meetings with just the gun control lobbyists and people who do not understand or know anything about airsoft; people who are unsympathetic to our cause; people who want to institute policies detrimental to us. Believe me, the gun control lobbyists are very active in their campaign, in their eyes, there is really no difference between real firearms and airsoft guns, they simply see it as an instrument or tool of evil that is the main source of crime and violence which needs to be eradicated. They constantly paint the picture to the government and general public that people who love guns and those who engage in any type of shooting sport are violent people. Aside from the gun control lobbyists, there also those politicians or bureaucrats who have no idea what airsoft is all about, government officials who can easily be influenced by the gun control lobbyists if not informed or educated properly regarding our sport or hobby.

The National Firearms Control Executive Committee is currently preparing to codify and amend the existing firearms laws, they are in the process of drafting the new firearms bill that they will be submitting to congress for approval. Anyway, about 3 weeks or a month ago, during one of the committee meetings in Camp Crame, there was a committee member from the government panel who suggested and proposed that airsoft guns be included in the definition of firearms, there was no opposition to the proposal except from the UAA represented by Atty. Tabujara, they argued and debated about the issue, finally, the committee finally conceded not to include it in the draft proposal. Imagine if we had no representation at all, once the bill is passed, we would wake up one day and find out that airsoft guns are now classified as real firearms and are now subject to the same requirements and fees. Of course, by then, it will be too late, we can b***h and complain about it all we want and all the government will say is that it's our fault since we did not choose to attend or participate during the consultation hearings.

It's just like saying that we want peace, well who doesn't, but if you see a neighboring country amassing weapons, building it's military, and preparing for an invasion, do we simply shrug it off and hope for the best, or do we prepare for the worst. Bottomline, the external politics will go on with or without our consent; officials and bureaucrats will continue to formulate and institute policies that will affect us with or without our participation; and lastly, the gun control lobbyists will continue to fight for their cause whether we counter them or not. It's an uphill battle for us, by doing something we might fend off our attackers, by doing nothing at all, it will be just a matter of time before we lose completely.

-----Added 4 Aug 2009 at 11:00:57------
    -----Auto merged by FAS' System for Double Posting/ Bumping within 24hrs.
    -----Please consolidate all your messages into one post. Use the EDIT feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabyte View Post
    Why not SEE the positive side of things?

@BadCop- Isn't it enought that UAA is represented in NFCEC? If not, then what are they doing there? Just for the sake of argument sir, nothing personal

-ChubbyKiller
    Team Los Lobos
    Hey bro, anyway, to answer your question, isn't it enough the UAA is represented in the NFCEC? Well, although the UAA through Atty. Tabujara is doing the best he can to fend off our attackers, he is only one man, wouldn't it be better to have more representatives. Kung baga sa Kongreso halimbawa, hindi ba masmaigi na masmarmi kang kakamping mga congressman kung may gusto kang ipasang batas. He is one person in a committee of pessimists and unenlightened people. They can easily out vote him if they want. Plus, more representatives would mean more ideas and input from the airsoft community. Airsofters will have a greater say in the formulation of policies and measures that will greatly affect them. At the very least, the opinions of more airsofters can be heard where it matters the most, not in FAS or the other airsoft forums, but in the real battlefield, the actual committee or congressional meetings and hearings, where the stakes are high and our opinions matter the most. We cannot forever remain passive to the things that go on around us.

Kung kumapara sa laro, halimbawa inaatake ka ng isang daang kalaban na palaban, ano ang masgusto natin, nagiisa lang tayo at niraratrat ng lahat ng kalaban o yung may mga teammates tayo na tutulong sa atin labanan yung mga sumusugod na kalaban? Syempre masgusto natin may kakampi diba? Saka, ano yung masmalaking tyansa na maipanalo natin yung laro, yung nagiisa lang tayo o yung may mga kakampi din tayo na palaban? As the saying goes, "there is strength in numbers". Marami tayong airsofters, so I don't see any reason na bakit pababayaan natin yung isang kasama natin lumaban magisa, lalo na na tayo din naman makikinabang pagnanalo siya.

Parang sa legalization push, marami ang di kumilos at di nakialam (ok lang), meron din kumontra at bumatikos (ok lang din yon, karapatan nila yon), pero nung naaprubahan, lahat nakinabang, pati yung mga bumatikos at kumontra. Nobody can deny that the vast majority benefited from the legalization effort, although may kaunting hassle sa pagpaparehistro at pagkuha ng ptt, marami ang natuwa at nakinabang na puwede na sila byumahe dala ang baril nila ng walang problema, lalo na yung nagcocomute lang. In fact, I believe the legalization of airsoft contributed to the unprecedented growth of the sport or hobby, kaya naman sobrang dami ang naglalaro ngayon ng airsoft ay dahil legal na. Dahil din sa legalization dumami ang mga legal na tindahan ng airsoft at nagbabaan ang presyo ng airsoft products (aside from the fact na dumami din ang supply ng murang acm products). I know may pros and cons ang legalization, but generally speaking, i believe it has done more good than harm (you really can't please everybody). We are now even able to participate in gun shows and trade shows legally and openly. Nagiging popular na rin ang airsoft IPSC shooting ngayon. Lahat ng ito ay di mangyayari kung illegal pa rin ang airsoft. So what's my point, this happened because a handful of people decided to do something good for the community, inspite of the odds, they pushed and fought for what they believed in, in the end they were victorious, as a result of their vision and hard work, everyone reaped the benefits of their struggle. If a few people can do this, imagine what many can accomplish. We cannot and should not just watch things happen, we must all do our part to make things happen. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by badcop; August 4th, 2009 at 23:52. Reason: DOUBLE POSTING/BUMPING within 24hrs.

Point well taken sir. Hope to have a talk with you as soon as I get back from bacolod.
    101% Certified Ilonggo

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast